Friday 13 January 2012

Arrows

I am a migraine sufferer. For years, I have been struggling with episodes of pounding headaches, nausea and hyper acidity. It would start with a serpentine blur in my vision, a migraine aura, which would spread until half of my vision is obfuscated. When the aura disappears, intense pain sets in. My hands would grow cold and sweat would form on my forehead. I would force myself to throw up to alleviate the pain and nausea. These debilitating episodes would last for about 2-6 hours.

In my visions, I am sometimes shot through the torso by Apollon. A large arrow would be sticking out of my body.

“Don’t try to pull it out, or you’ll bleed to death.” he would say. “Use the pain as power.” Straight from a Kung-fu movie. And I would do so, until in my vision, the arrow would be absorbed into my body.

I still have my migraines, but now, I do not fear them.

It’s taken me a while to get it right, but I’ve found the right cocktail of medication to avert my episodes when they come. And I’m beginning to notice patterns of their appearance, so I can prevent them.

Every time I have a migraine episode, I learn something new about it. Each time, I grow stronger and become wiser.

I have read that for those who have had leg injuries, there is a critical point in their recovery, after all the physical therapy, that decides whether they fully recover, or remain handicapped. This when they have to choose between being cared for and coddled and babied by everybody around them, or going back to life was a fully functional human being.

Nobody has to be a slave of their disease, and it is your choice whether you emerge triumphant or remain a victim.

When your god shoots you, it might be for your own good.


No comments:

Post a Comment